A Tribute to the "Official Urban Pump Greeter"....Pooka

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. " Anatole France

My husband and I had to make a very painful decision this weekend. We had to put our dog, Pooka, to sleep. The signs of aging and chronic pain were too big to continue to ignore. She had difficulty getting up and moving around. Her tail was always between her legs, and she was struggling with incontinence. The real noticeable sign was on Friday. She would not get up to greet the clients when they came in the door. She would always greet the clients. It was her favorite part of the day, so when she would just lay there, well, that spoke volumes about what was going on inside.
She was so loving that even my husband, who seems indifferent toward her (he always made fun of her. It is apparent now it was in a caring way), cried along with me when she passed on.

This is my tribute to her:
Dear Pooka....
You are 14 years old on the day of your passing. We are told that 14 years is a very long life, nay, unusually long life for a dog of your size. To me, that just showed how much you loved life...and loved being with us. I had you ever since you were a pup, and you passed away in our arms on your favorite spot in the gym. You were always so brave (except with fireworks...), so strong, and so calming. Everybody loved you, for you had a way of telling them they were the best thing that ever walked through the doors of our gym. An old friend or  a new person you just met...it didn't matter. You greeted them all with equal enthusiasm.
Yet you were no push over, for you would stand up to any bully (human or canine). You loved and accepted all the people and animals I brought into our space. You helped comfort many adults and children, and you allowed everyone to pet you. I am grateful for how you always layed next to me so calmly. I would often times be deliriously happy, angry, pensive or frustrated, but to you it did not matter. You would still lay beside me. You would comfort me.
I remember the many beautiful walks and hikes together. Your favorite thing to do was go on a walk with Gregg and I, and for as much grief as he would give you, he was your favorite human being to hang with (hopefully besides me).
Your favorite spot to be rubbed was your tummy, your favorite toy was simply a bone, your favorite urban pump client was Rebbecca, and you absolute favorite job was to give slobbery kisses to everyone who walked in, or walked by the gym.
Thank you Pook for loving me, Gregg, our children, and all of our clients.
"Pooka" means large animal spirit in Celtic. Pooka, you embodied that name well.
We will all miss you.



In Memory
June 20, 1998-June 16th, 2012   

Comments